This is the 2nd year that Cheri and family along with some friends spend a long weekend at Rover park. Camping in the middle of winter. The reason – Monster Trucks…. it’s a boy thing. But for the children it was a great holiday in the country. Sadly Rover Park has now closed.
And lots of fun around the fire at night.
Well needless to say, Cheri and Beth were planning menus months in advance, including a Ragu Napolitano that is always a huge success – from a recipe given to me by an old Italian friend. I’ll post this recipe sometime soon.
The star of the show was definitely the Diddle Daddles (aka caramel popcorn), however these apparently didn’t last much beyond the drive up to Rover park.
Recipe for Diddle Daddles
- Set oven to 120 C
- Line 2 baking trays with wax paper
- Place ready prepared popcorn in a large heatproof bowl
- In a deep saucepan melt butter and then stir in sugar, glucose and salt
- Bring to boil stirring frequently, once boiling stop stirring and let boil for about 5 minutes, remove from heat
- Add Bicarb and stir (be aware that the Bicarb will cause the mixture to bubble up rising vigorously)
- Stir in cream and vanilla
- Pour caramel over the popcorn and stir briskly – a bit of a challenge as it becomes very sticky
- Spread popcorn onto the trays to achieve a single layer of popcorn as best you can
- Place trays in oven for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes
- Remove trays from oven and allow to cool
- When popcorn is cool break into pieces
- Store in a ziploc bag
- It lasts as long as you can keep away from it